Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Everyone Needs A Nathan

by Dwayne Dobschuetz, High School Sunday School Teacher

Psalm 51

As I look at Psalm 51, many passages are familiar that I have often used in my own admissions of wrong actions.

"Have mercy on me!

Blot out my sin!

Restore the joy of your salvation!

Create in me a clean heart!"

But as I read it today, new words struck me before I got into the meat of the passage. This was a Psalm of David written after the prophet Nathan went to him. I flipped back to 2 Sam 12:1 and started to refresh myself on the story behind the Psalm. It starts with the phrase that Nathan was sent by the Lord to speak to David. I realize I have needed a Nathan more than once in my life who could come alongside me and speak God's truth to me. Nathan reminded David of God's faithfulness, blessing, and future promises, yet wasn't hesitant about pointing out where David had stepped out and done wrong. It was only through Nathan's faithful ministry that God was able to get through to David. After delivering the hard news, Nathan stuck with him and continued to bless and be a presence in his life. How do I know this? David shares in vs 13 "Then I will teach transgressors (like me) your ways, and sinners (like me) will return to you." He both learned it and how to do it from Nathan!

I pray that I might have a Nathan in my life, as I have had at various points in my life, sensitive to God's leading, helping me stay on the path. As I think about it the even greater challenge would be to be a Nathan to another, but thankfully that's not a job that I apply for but one, like Nathan, that would be a "calling from God."

No comments:

Post a Comment