Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Yearning for God

Lord, so often I sought You in my youth and never felt your touch. Your word I never doubted, but it never reached my heart. Never was I able to produce the perfect righteousness that you demanded. Your grace was my only hope. I confessed my sins and accepted You as my Savior and yet I still longed for that special touch.

So often I felt lonely, forgotten and cut off from Your Presence. My spirit was ready to give up and my heart was cold. Where are those days Lord, when you reached out to people and showed Your love? I pleadingly spread out my hand to You. As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for You, O God. Unless Lord, You come to my rescue, I won’t survive much longer. Do not hide Your face in anger as I am close to
death.

Lord, bring me words and tones of steadfast love and faithfulness. I simply do not know the way unless You direct my path. I cry out to you, to protect me from the temptation of the world. In You alone, I trust and depend on Your protection. When I walked thru the valley of the shadow of death, You were with me. You gave me a new heart and a new spirit – You have led me beside still waters. Your love I cannot comprehend.

Preserve me, O Lord, for Your name’s sake. I pray Lord, that in these last days of my life I will serve You with joy and gladness. And even if I falter, I will look up at the cross on which my Savior died. Knowing that living, He loved me, dying He saved me, buried He carried my sins far away. Rising, He freely justified forever that one day He’s coming again. O glorious day!

John Beerhorst
Lenten Blog – Psalm 143
for Pastoral Care Council

No comments:

Post a Comment